Over the years, some of you might have had some fond memories of bingeing on Netflix TV shows and movies together at home with friends, family members, and loved ones. But then that might have stopped. Maybe you or your friends moved to different states or countries for work or school. Or maybe the pandemic prevented you from hanging out with your friends.
If you miss being able to watch Netflix with your friends and family members in real-time and discussing events as they happen, don’t worry, there’s a way to recapture that experience with a simple but handy Google Chrome extension.
Host a Netflix watch party
- Download the Teleparty Chrome extension
- Install it
- Follow the instructions on setting it up
- Launch Netflix in your browser
- Choose a show that you want to watch
- Click the “TP” logo in Chrome’s extension bar
- Click “Start the party”. You can also set it so that only you have the controls for pausing/playing the show
- You’ll be given a URL that you can share with your friends
- When they click the URL, they’ll now be party of your watch party and can chat and watch the show in real-time with you
Keep in mind that there are certain limitations and restrictions to using Teleparty. First of all, everyone needs to have their own Netflix account. It is possible to use a shared account, but it must be on a Netflix tier that supports simultaneous streaming.
Also, keep in mind that with Netflix cracking down on password sharing, it might be a bit difficult in the future to take advantage of shared accounts, so it might be better if everyone had their own account.
Another thing to note is that due to Netflix having different catalogues for each region, the show you might want to watch might not be available for your friend or family member in a different country, so make sure that everyone has access to the show before you start your watch party.