While many of us are a bit wary about apps knowing our location, sometimes location sharing can be useful. For example, if you’re meeting someone for a date through a dating app for the first time, you might want to share your location with friends and family members so that they know where you are in case something goes wrong.
It can also be useful if you’re trying to tell your friends where you are and where to meet you, or if you’ve sold something online and are meeting the buyer in person, sharing your current location will make it easy for them to locate you.
If you use Facebook Messenger, sharing your location is a very simple and straightforward process, and here’s how.
Share location with Facebook Messenger
- Launch Messenger on your Android phone
- Open the chat you want to share location with
- Tap the icon at the bottom left corner of the chat with four dots
- Tap on Location
- If this is your first time sharing location, you might have to grant it a couple of permissions
- You can now choose to share your current location, type in a different location, or share your live location for the next 60 minutes. This feature means that for the next hour, whenever you move, it will be reflected in the app as well. This will make it easier for people to know exactly where you are at all times.
Keep in mind that unless you have opted to use the live location sharing feature, your location won’t be tracked continuously. This means that if you share your current location but you leave after an hour, the person you shared the location with won’t know, so users won’t have to be worried about being continuously tracked.