The Moto G Stylus (2021) was launched last year and is an affordable alternative to Samsung’s flagship smartphones for users who want a stylus built into their phone. While it might not pack the most powerful specs, the selling point would be 5G connectivity and a stylus that users can use to take notes, doodle on the go, and so on.
If you have purchased the phone through a carrier’s contract, one of things some carriers do (this varies from carrier to carrier, region to region) is that they lock the SIM of the phone. This is to prevent people from buying and then reselling the phone and breaking the contract in the process.
The downside is that this can be a bit troublesome for users who want to use a different carrier for whatever reasons, or to use a local SIM when they’re traveling to a different country, but thankfully unlocking the SIM card on the Moto G Stylus (2021) is a simple and straightforward process that in some cases, might even be free!
Unlocking through your carrier for free
Usually carriers are more than willing to help you unlock the SIM card of your phone and this is a service they typically offer for free, but of course there are some requirements that users will need to meet in order to qualify for a free SIM unlock. While this may vary from carrier to carrier, in general:
- You need to be in good standing with your carrier, meaning that you don’t have any outstanding bills and that the contract with your carrier for the phone has expired
- You’ll also need to make sure that you have owned the device for at least 60-90 days
Of course, it would be best to call your carrier ahead of time to find out what those requirements are before you ask for a SIM unlock request. If you’re still locked into a contract, you can always buy out of the contract, which is usually a lot of money upfront, but if SIM unlocking is a high priority for you, it might be worth it.
If you happen to meet these requirements, all you need to do is make a call to your carrier and request them to unlock the SIM card on your phone. You will need to provide your carrier with certain details about your phone which you can obtain in the steps below:
- On your Moto G Stylus (2021) handset, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to pull up your phone’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down somewhere so you can refer to it later
- Call your carrier and request for your SIM unlock code
- You will probably be asked to provide the IMEI for the Moto G Stylus (2021)
- If you meet all the requirements that we mentioned above, the SIM unlock code will be sent to the email address you provided in the next 2-5 days.
- Once you’ve received your code, swap out the SIM with a SIM from another carrier
- Enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email when prompted and you’re set!
Unlocking with Android SIM Unlock
If you do not meet the requirements by your carrier to unlock the SIM, or if for whatever reason they can’t or won’t unlock your SIM, not to worry because thanks to third-party services like Android SIM Unlock, you can actually unlock the SIM of your Moto G Stylus (2021) by paying a small (but affordable) fee.
- On your Moto G Stylus (2021) phone, launch the Phone app and dial *#06# to get the device’s IMEI number
- Write the IMEI number down
- Go to Android SIM Unlock’s website
- Enter your device’s IMEI number
- Complete the checkout process with your payment and contact information
- Once payment is made, you should then receive the Moto G Stylus (2021)’s unlock code either through SMS or email
- The moment you’ve received your code, you can then swap out the SIM on your phone with a SIM from another carrier
- You should be prompted to enter the SIM unlock code that you received in your email, and once you’ve done that, you should be good to go
We want to remind you that unlocking your SIM does not release you from any obligations you have with your carrier if you signed a contract with them. While you can swap out the SIM and use it with a different carrier, any repayment plans for the phone and mobile plans you have are still active and will need to be paid, it’s just that you now have more flexibility with your SIM card options.