Back in the day, if you wanted to capture aerial photographs or videos, you’d probably need to rent yourself a helicopter. This was a rather expensive process which meant that non-enthusiasts or professionals wouldn’t be able to get the same kind of footage as those willing to pay for the experience.
These days, drones have made things a lot easier. Drones let photographers and videographers capture all kinds of aerial footage, even in places and at altitudes that helicopters probably couldn’t (legally) fly at.
If you’re keen on taking your photography and videography to the next level, then perhaps DJI’s Mini SE drone could be of interest to you.
- Dimensions – Folded: 138×81×58 mm (L×W×H); Unfolded: 159×203×56 mm (L×W×H); Unfolded (with propellers): 245×289×56 mm (L×W×H)
- Max Flight Time – 30 minutes
- 3-axis gimbal
- 12MP 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor
- 24mm f/2.8 lens
- 2.7K video at 30 FPS
- 1080p Full HD video at 60 FPS
DJI is known for their drones, and some of their drones can be rather big and bulky and difficult to transport, especially if you fly a lot. That’s where the DJI MIni SE shines, where it is small enough to fit into the palm of your hand, which also means that stuffing it into your backpack shouldn’t be a problem.
It also weighs under 249 grams, so you should be able to bring it around with you all day without necessarily feeling like it’s bogging you down.
The DJI Mini SE also boasts 30 minutes of flight time per full charge, which the company claims is more than what other similarly classed drones offer.
Safe and easy to use
While the propeller blades of the Mini SE are small, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t dangerous. At the speeds they spin, they could hurt someone if it flies near them or on them, which is why DJI is offering 360-degree Propeller Guards that will help cover the blades to protect people in case of an accident.
It is also clear that the Mini SE is being aimed at beginner drone owners because the accompanying DJI Fly app is designed to be easy to use and intuitive, allowing users to get up and running in a few taps. There are also included tutorials that will teach beginners how to use their drones properly.
The app also comes with built-in templates that help users generate videos that they captured with their drone, so even if you don’t have much experience, the app will help you piece it all together quickly and easily.
The DJI Mini SE comes with a 12MP 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor and is accompanied by a 24mm f/2.8 lens. This will let you get some decently-wide shots while also letting in a decent amount of light, so using it at various times of the day shouldn’t be an issue.
The drone also has a built-in 3-axis gimbal that will help stabilize the camera, so at the end of the day, you’ll have video footage that you can actually use. It will support video capture of up to 2.7K resolution at 30 FPS, but if you prefer a smoother FPS, it can also record 1080p Full HD at up to 60 FPS.
Drones can be expensive and while we wouldn’t say the DJI Mini SE is cheap, at $299 it is more affordable compared to other drones out there. Plus, DJI has a pretty solid reputation when it comes to making drones, plus the ease of use and the portability really make this a value for money proposal.
- Light as a Smartphone - Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 249 grams, DJI Mini SE is roughly the same weight as the smartphone. In the United States and Canada, you can fly this camera drone without the...
- Capture on the Go - The lightweight and powerful DJI Mini SE camera drone is the ideal for creators on the move. The ultra-portable design allows you to effortlessly capture moments in unforgettable...
- More Time in the Sky - DJI Mini SE's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer drones on the market. Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery.
Note: this article may contain affiliate links that help support our authors and keep the Phandroid servers running.