There’s little doubt that the Samsung Galaxy S9 and the larger Galaxy S9 Plus are among the best smartphones of 2018. But if you find yourself reading this article, you’re likely already aware of that. What you want to know is how you can SIM unlock the Samsung Galaxy S9 since it is SIM locked to your service provider. The main reason to SIM unlock the Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus is because you’re planning to switch service providers, but a SIM-unlocked Galaxy S9 can also fetch a higher price if you’re planning on selling the phone as well. Regardless of why you need it, the instructions below will help you secure a free Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock code for your device.
Keep in mind that is can take 2-3 days to get a free SIM unlock code for your device. If you can’t wait that long, you might consider picking your Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock code from DoctorSIM or similar third-party services.
Picking the right service provider
If you’re switching service providers to save money on your monthly bill, Ting Mobile is a great option you should consider. Ting delivers nationwide 4G LTE coverage using three different networks (Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint) at an incredibly low price since you get to pick and choose the services you want rather than paying a blanket fee for unlimited services that you’ll likely never use. If you use less, you pay less. It’s that simple.
Ting’s network is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S9 and you may not even need to SIM unlock the phone to make the switch! Head over to phandroid.ting.com to customize the perfect plan that fits your needs and get a $25 credit towards your phone bill.
Free Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock code
What many people don’t know is that getting a free SIM unlock code for the Samsung Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy S9 Plus is fairly easy. If you look through your service provider’s fine print on their website, you’ll find that most of them will give you the SIM unlock code for your phone, just as long as you meet a handful of requirements. Each service provider has their own unique requirements, but typically you’ll need to make sure that the phone you are trying to unlock is paid in full, your account is in good standing (no late or unpaid bills) and that you’ve owned the phone for 60-90 days. If you meet these requirements, you shouldn’t have any issues getting a free SIM unlock code for your Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 Plus.
Request your free unlock code
- Open the phone app and dial #06# to display your Samsung Galaxy S9’s IMEI number
- Wrote the number down on a piece of paper for quick reference
- Call your service provider to request your free SIM unlock code
- Provide your phone’s IMEI number to the customer service rep
- If eligible, your Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock code will be emailed to you in 2-3 days
SIM unlock your Samsung Galaxy S9
- When you receive your unlock code, replace the SIM card with one from another service provider
- When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code you received
- Once the code is entered, the device will be SIM unlocked.
The process is fairly simple and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete.
Paid Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock
If by any chance you are now eligible for a free SIM unlock code for your phone through your service provider (or simply don’t have time to wait around for 2-3 days for the code to show up), you can use DoctorSIM to purchase the code. Third-party services are typically fairly cheap and can deliver the code the same day (often in less than an hour). Follow the instructions on the website to order your Samsung Galaxy S9 SIM unlock code and then follow the unlock directions from the previous step once you receive your code.
T-Mobile & Metro PCS SIM unlock
A Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galax yS9+ purchased from T-Mobile or Metro PCS comes with their own unique SIM unlocking process. These devices will need to use a specific T-Mobile or Metro PCS app to unlock their phones, so you won’t be able to use a standard SIM unlock code for the Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+. The good news is that you can still pay to unlock these devices even if you do not meet the service provider’s requirements for unlocking them, though the process is different. Android SIM Unlock offers unlocking services for the T-Mobile Unlock App and the Metro PCS Unlock app.
The instructions below walk you through the unlocking process using either app.
- Find the T-Mobile Device Unlock or Metro PCS Device Unlock service for your phone
- Enter your phone’s IMEI number and complete the checkout process
- The service can take 1-3 days to complete
- Once you receive confirmation that your order is complete, open the T-Mobile Device Unlock or Metro PCS Device Unlock app
- Press Continue and then Permanent Unlock on the next screen
- Once finished, reboot the phone to complete the unlock process
At this point, you will be able to swap in a SIM card from another service provider and use your phone on any GSM network.
Disclaimer: This article is sponsored by Ting Mobile.