Whenever new flagship smartphones are announced, tech media converge on the digital masses, flooding the interverse with more infos than anyone cares to know. What YOU want to know is the TL;DR, am i right? Only what’s important without the fluff? Allow me.
This is the no frills, sans BS edition of your typical “Everything to know about the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus”. Straight up fax!
Above is the Official Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ introduction video which actually does a great job at setting the stage in under 4 minutes. Here are the most important things worth taking away.
Galaxy S9 vs Galaxy S9 Plus (see spec comparison):
- 5.8-inches vs 6.2-inches
- 4GB vs 6GB RAM
- 3000 mAh vs 3500 mAh Battery
- S9+ has an additional wide angle lens on rear camera
Both the S9 and S9+ come in 4 colors:
- Coral Blue
- Titanium Grey
- Lilac Purple
- Midnight Black
The only visual difference being the additional rear camera on the S9+:
Best Galaxy S9/S9+ Specs:
- Fingerprint sensor location improved (fixed from S8)
- Iris scanner and Face unlock, too
- MicroSD Card Slot (400GB extra storage)
- Stereo speakers (front-facing and LOUD!)
- 3.5mm Headset Jack
- IP68 water resistant (praise the lord)
- Best screen of any smartphone
- USB Type-C charging
- Qi wireless charging and related accessories
Galaxy S9/S9+ Camera improvements:
The S9 now takes 12 photos with each camera snap, using info from each frame to produce the best possible final product (Multi-frame image processing with DRAM)
- 12MP Rear Camera, 8MP Front Camera (same as Note 8)
- Takes better low light photos with new mechanical aperture that switches between f/2.4 and f/1.5
- Super slow motion video at 960fps
- Galaxy S9 Plus has dual rear cameras
- Create Animated GIFs, Add Music behind slow-mo video, Loop/Reverse, and set as your lock-screen wallpaper
- Samsung Personalized AR Emoji let you send cartoon emojis that look like you (better than iPhone animoji?)
Galaxy S9/S9+ Price:
- Galaxy S9: $720
- Galaxy S9 Plus: $840
Galaxy S9/S9+ Release Date:
- February 25th: reservations open
- March 2nd: pre-orders begin
- March 16th: phone launches
- March 17th: bank account depleted
Is it worth buying?
My opinion: absolutely 100% worth upgrading if you’ve been ready to upgrade from a phone that’s either underpowered or a 2+ year old flagship. If you’ve got the Galaxy S8 though? Definitely not… hold off until you either need to upgrade or there is a must-have improvement that renders your phone into old fogery.
Is there more to know?
Do you think there are other pertinent facts and details potential Galaxy S9 purchasers should know before taking the plunge? Let us know in the comments or start your own discussions on the Galaxy S9 Forum and/or the Galaxy S9 Plus Forum on AndroidForums.com!