Most of us rely on our smartphones to consume media these days. It’s the main reason why the size of smartphone displays have grown from 3.5-inches to 6-inches. While these devices are great for listening to music or watching an episode or two of our favorite Netflix show, a large-screen TV typically offers a much better experience – especially when we want to share our media with those around us. If you own a Chromecast, you can easily stream content from your Android device to your TV, but you can also use your PlayStation 4 to do the same.
Follow the instruction below and you’ll be streaming media from your Android device to your PS4 in less than two minutes.
- Download and Install Pixel Media Server on your Android device from the Google Play Store
- Open the application and tap DMS Name to give a name to your device
- Tap Share Folder to select which folder you want to share
- Tap the Play button at the bottom to start the Pixel Media Server
- Turn on your PS4 and ensure that it is on the same WiFi network as your Android device
- Open the Media Player application on your PS4
- Select the Pixel Media Server drive
- Navigate the folders to locate and stream photo, music and video files from your Android device
The functionality offered by Pixel Media Server is pretty basic, but it does allow you to browse the entire folder structure of your Android device and locate all your media. If you want an application with a little more refinement, Bubble UPnP and iMedia Share might be better options for you. Bubble UPnP is quite powerful, but you do need to buy a full license (roughly $4.50 with an in-app purchase) if you want to stream media files for more than 30 minutes. As for iMedia Share, the application is simple and condenses all your streamable media into Photos, Videos and Music folders when viewed on your PS4. This if helpful for finding media instantly, but it does pull in a lot of system images and audio sounds that you really have no interest in streaming to your PS4.
Feel free to leave us a comment if you have other app recommendations which allow media to be streamed from an Android device to the PlayStation 4.