‘Tis the season to bring large vegetables into the house and cut shapes into their hard outer skin. Of course I’m talking about Halloween and jack-o-lanterns. Carving pumpkins and gourds is a tradition that goes back thousands of years, but I don’t think the first pumpkin carvers had anything like this in mind. Today people carve everything and anything into pumpkins, including their tech loyalty.
In this guide we’ll show you how to carve our beloved Phanbot into a “PHAN-O-LANTERN.” If you’ve ever carved a pumpkin before you should be familiar with the process, but for any newcomers we’ll go over the steps. Stick with us and you won’t lose any fingers in the process. If you do, well, that just makes you Halloween costume that much scarier.
What You’ll Need
- Medium-sized pumpkin
- Large knife
- Small knife
- Large spoon
- PHAN-O-LANTERN template (download .PDF)
What To Do
- Use your knife to cut a lid into your pumpkin, then use your spoon and hands to scoop out all the guts and seeds from inside.
- Print out the PHAN-O-LANTERN template and cut out the grey areas with your scissors.
- Tape the template onto you pumpkin, use the marker to trace the cut-outs. Remove the template.
- Use your knives to cut along the lines. Pop out the sections as you go.
- Place a small candle or light inside the pumpkin to light it up.
BE CAREFUL and you’ll end up with all the fingers you started with and a pumpkin that looks something like the photo above. If you’d like to carve vicariously through me you can watch the video below. If you decide to carve the PHAN-O-LANTERN yourself be sure to send us a photo! Happy Halloween!