Netflix today updated their support documents to note the addition of a new Android phone that supports HDR playback. That phone… is not the Galaxy S8, as many were hoping.
Instead, it’s the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. It and the LG G6 are the only two smartphones which support it as of today. Here’s a list of other requirements you’ll want to take care of if you’re looking to watch in HDR mode:
- A TV or device that supports either Dolby Vision or HDR.
- Netflix for Android version 5.0 or higher.
- A 4 Screen Netflix plan. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
- A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or faster.
- Streaming quality set to “High.”
With all those things, you’ll be able to enjoy the richer colors, brightness, and contrast that comes as part of the HDR viewing experience. Be sure to get your apps updated as soon as possible if you want to take advantage.