Folks with Sony-crafted phones and tablets will be happy to learn that another batch of devices are being added to the Android 4.4 KitKat club starting today for the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet. Of course, these are only going out in “select” markets to start, with exact timing to be determined by carrier. Sony says it shouldn’t be more than a few weeks before more regions are added, though.
So what’s changing? A whole lot. Here are the highlights on Sony’s side:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing improved performance & user interface (UI) optimisation…
- Revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings, and PS4-inspired UI tweaks
- Updates to messaging, email, Smart Social Camera and Battery STAMINA Mode
- Messaging – a few UI adjustments here & there, including a slicker “send” animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun… also worth noting, you’ll find smileys wherever there’s an app with a keyboard
- Email – you’ll be able to both load and see more mails… but don’t fret, navigation of said load is easier with a more responsive viewing pane – split screen modes divide info for easy digest… especially useful / works a treat on Xperia Tablet Z
- Smart Social Camera – social imaging experience makes its debut on first Z Series devices; a selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder… including personal favourite “Creative Effect”, and more for download to boot!
- Battery STAMINA Mode – level-upping our unique power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your juice
- A more converged, integrated experience for all of Sony’s entertainment apps
Sony’s also committing to bringing KitKat to the Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 (and all their Dual-SIM variants) in the next round of updates, so it won’t be long before pretty much everyone is in on the fun (unless, of course, you don’t have a Sony device that launched within the past year and change). Find more details at the source link.