The CyanogenMod based OnePlus One phone has just been announced along with a pretty crazy price and equally crazy promotion. But what we find craziest is a bizarre backlash against a specific OnePlus One spec announced: the dimensions.
Last month the company released a promotional image of the OnePlus One covered by the Sony Z1, insinuating the OnePlus One had smaller dimensions.You can see the OnePlus One barely peeking out from the sides – so we knew it would be slightly wider – and based on the angle of the picture no assumptions could be made about the thickness or height.
After all was said and done, here are the dimensions of the OnePlus One compared to some key competitors:
It’s taller and wider than both the Sony Z1 and Oppo Find 7 and also taller than the Galaxy Note 3. Suddenly, for some inexplicable reason, that’s cause for chaos and a reason for disbanding the fabric of the universe. You can find a prime example of this on a thread titled “This company is founded on lies” on the OnePlus Forums and a discussion of the same on Reddit.
This isn’t an isolated incident, either: across many different forums and sites we’ve seen a multitude of people bash the company for being unfair, misleading, and lying about the OnePlus One in regards to the dimensions and specs. Unless this is a targeted attempt by OnePlus One’s competitors to discredit and troll the launch, I’m not sure where all the hate is coming from.
Let’s get a few things clear:
- OnePlus never made claims that weren’t true… they posted a picture, people made assumptions, and are now holding OnePlus to words that other people put in their mouth.
- Starting at $299, nobody should have anything to complain about
- Especially a few millimeters here and there, which is exactly the difference. Unless these complainers saw this stat on a spec sheet, they’d never know the difference
- The people complaining are welcome to a refund. What’s that you say? They haven’t paid for anything yet? Oh… I see…
Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. The complaint is so absurd that I’m finding it hard to rule out some type of foul play.
I’m really excited about the OnePlus One and I’m sure our OnePlus One Forums will be heating up in no time. I’m not very excited to see people breaking their phones for a chance to get One, but I’ll just sit on the sidelines and hope someone tosses me an invite.
- HTC One M8 decoy units hiding real design
- Big Android Meat and Greet
- Google Wallet spreads online
- ASUS 7-day battery smartwatch
- Check out the OnePlus One forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: OnePlus One