Galaxy S5 concept
We know we’re only a few short weeks away from the Samsung Galaxy S5 becoming official. With an official announcement closing in fast, that means is already putting the finishing touches on the device, be it the packaging, and/or marketing materials. The phone is out there, we just haven’t seen it (yet). As one of the biggest devices of the year, we can’t help but wonder if Samsung will play it safe, making the S5 more of a refresh? Or will Samsung go “all out,” packing the device with the highest-of-end hardware in an effort to crush the competition before they can even get back up for another round.
Today a Korean security research firm has allegedly obtained some “insider information” regarding the device, leaking details of both the Galaxy S5 and upcoming iPhone 6 in a single PDF. So, exactly how much seems legit and how much is BS? We’ll let you decide, but here are the rumored specs.
Samsung Galaxy S5
- 5.2 inch – 5.25 inch 2560×1440 SAMOLED display (560ppi)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 or Samsung Exynos 6 processor (depending on model)
- 3GB RAM
- 32/64/128GB storage configurations
- 16MP/3.2MP cameras
- Running Android 4.4 KitKat
- Release date: Q1 or Q2 this year
While nothing here is looking too crazy, it does show Samsung’s willingness to compete in the numbers game (more is always better) when it comes to just about every hardware spec. We should point out there was no mention of fingerprint or retina scanners on the device, but we suppose extra hardware features could have been left out.
It’s the leaked iPhone specs that really have us questioning the validity of this leak. According to the PDF, Apple is planning to launch an iPhone 6 in 2 sizes — 4.7 and 5.5-inch varieties — opting instead for IGZO display tech over the previous model’s LTPS. Other oddities included the device would run iOS 7.2 (not 8) and an expected release in the Q2 or Q3 of this year.
So exactly what, if anything, should you do with this “leak”? Well, take it with the finest grain of salt like always. Curious to hear your expectations of the Galaxy S5. Does it line up with what is being reported here, or do you think Samsung should be focusing on hardware/software design more so than 2K displays?
- Virginia police can order you unlock a phone with your fingerprint
- Galaxy S5 Lollipop in December?
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus w/Snapdragon 805 headed to Netherlands
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play edition shows up again on official Android page
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy S5 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: Samsung Galaxy S5