Sony has announced that two of their top phones are now receiving Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The two lucky ones are the Sony Xperia Z1 and the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, and this upgrade will bring a lot of great improvements that any owner of either one will enjoy. Here’s a full list (as told by Sony themselves) of all the goods you’ll be enjoying:
- Google’s Android 4.3; Jelly Bean as standard – bringing Project Butter performance & UI optimisation and a smoother graphical experience
- Launched with Xperia Z1, we’re now bringing Sony’s Smart Social Camera to Xperia Z Ultra – our signature camera experience, that lets you download, access and enjoy “Xperia camera apps” directly from within the viewfinder
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* - a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, offering seamless access to both local and cloud content
- The launch of our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – more on this soon…
- The latest Android security enhancements, matched with Sony’s mobile enterprise solution: Xperia in Business
Alongside all that, we’re also hearing that this thing fixes the camera bug for devices with unlocked bootloaders. As usual, the upgrade rollout timing will depend on your region and carrier.
Unlocked international models will naturally be first in line, but those of you with carrier-provided devices will have to wait until they approve the upgrade for use on their network. You should be able to find what you need in the Settings menu of your phone, but you’ll want WiFi on and a decently-charged battery before trying to pull it down.
- Android version breakdown for June 2014
- Sony Xperia themes will get more assets
- Android 4.3 for EVO 4G LTE [DOWNLOAD]
- Android distribution numbers show Jelly Bean
- Check out the Sony Xperia Z1 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.