We here at Phandroid are huge fans of the growing smart watch scene, so you can imagine our excitement when Qualcomm revealed the Toq at their LINQ developers’ conference in San Diego earlier this year. The Toq turned many heads with various unique features not found in your typical smart watch, including a very interesting use of Mirasol display technology (which is like eInk with color).
You can read a lot more about the Toq in our hands-on post here, but today’s news is that the device finally has a release date and price. Qualcomm says we can expect the Toq to go on sale December 2nd, and that it would cost us $349.99 to own one.
Before you have a massive stroke after realizing this thing costs as much as a Nexus 5 and is more expensive than a Galaxy Gear, let’s consider a couple of different things:
- The Qualcomm Toq uses an always-on energy-friendly Mirasol display, which is pretty new and advanced reflective display technology.
- The Qualcomm Toq comes paired with a pair of completely wireless ear phones (meaning each ear bud is independent).
- The Qualcomm Toq and the aforementioned wireless headphones both feature wireless charging.
A bit easier to swallow? The only unknown we still have to wonder about is smartphone compatibility — just how useful will the Toq be in your day-to-day life? Some smart watches only come with very basic functionality which don’t interface with many apps. Others, like the Galaxy Gear, require certain smartphones with certain software upgrades to bring a full experience.
Which side of the line Qualcomm’s wrist-dweller sits on remains to be seen, but you can bet we’ll be looking to find out for ourselves once it’s in our hands (or on our wrists). Let us know if you’ll be looking to buy the Qualcomm Toq with a vote and a comment below, and don’t forget to read our comparison where we put it up against smart watch products from other major and notable OEMs.
- Top 20 smart watches!
- Qualcomm Toq $100 price cut
- Qualcomm Toq smart watch update adds boatload
- Qualcomm Toq smartwatch is now officially ava
TAGS: Qualcomm TOQ