The Google Glass team has announced via their Google+ profile that — exactly as we’d heard previously — a new version of Google Glass will be made available for Glass Explorers shortly. The new and improved Google Glass will only be made available to those that have purchased Glass before October 28th, 2013, where Glass Explorers will have the 1-time option to replace their current glass for the future revised version.
According to Google, this Glass 2.0 will work with a future line of shades and prescription lenses for Glass users, as well as come with a mono earbud to help improve hearing in noisy environments (one of Glass’ Achilles heels). No word on if Google was able to increase the mAhs in Glass for increased battery life, but we’ll keep our fingers crossed.
Now here comes the best part. While we still don’t know when Glass will become officially available to the public, Google is opening the Glass program to more participants. Glass Explorers now have 14 days from when sent an invite email to invite 3 friends into the program, without Google’s hand in the matter. Here are the requirements for potential Glass Explorers:
- be a US resident
- be 18 years or older
- purchase Glass
- provide a U.S. based shipping address OR pick up the device in New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles
Glass is still very much in its infancy, and with even more users comes increased feedback and an even better end product. We couldn’t be more excited.
- The 'most connected man in the world' could be us in 10 years
- Google Glass XE20.1 update gives access to all contacts with messaging options
- Google Glass patent shows a much less dorky design
- Navdy is like a Google Glass projector for your car
- Check out the Google Glass forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.