Welcome to the second edition of our “This Week In Google TV” feature! This is where we bring you your weekly dose of the latest happenings in the Google TV platform. We know many of you are struggling to find much Google TV content, so we are excited to help you find all you need in one place.
Google TV is finally starting to take off, with more manufacturers and updates coming around. We strongly believe things will only get better from now on, so let’s jump in and see what we have for you today.
Western Digital to be the next Google TV manufacturer?
It seems WD could become the very next company to jump in the Google TV bandwagon. Not the first manufacturer that comes to mind when thinking of possible upcoming Google TV partners, but we are always happy to see more options.
The company has posted a job listing looking for a software architect to manage design and production of “IP set top boxes based on the Android operating system,” which “would include Android TV and Google TV solutions.” We don’t know the details yet, but the description makes it seem like the plans are set on a very hard place. (Also, that “Android TV” part seems a bit fishy).
For more details: WD could be the next Google TV manufacturer
Google Stores to bring Google TV back from the ashes?
Finally! The answer we have been waiting for. New rumors point to a launch of the first physical Google Stores by the end of the year. This means there will finally be a place where customers can go and check out Google TV devices before they purchase them!
You probably know it is near impossible to find a Google TV in any retail store. I remember seeing the first-generation Sony Google TVs and sometimes LG’s, but those are the most expensive! Even if people like them, they probably wouldn’t purchase them.
Chrome has done great with more retail exposure, so we are hoping this will turn things around for our favorite smart TV platform. Don’t forget about us this time, Google. Remember, now we will all be able to pick up our signs and go protest outside your stores!
For more details: Google opening its own retail stores? Time for Google TV to shine!
Google TV vs. upcoming XBOX TV features
New rumors state that Xbox is getting ready to launch a new TV experience, which includes original content and over 40 video apps. They seem pretty confident, calling it the “future of TV.” We kinda disagree, though. Not just because we are Google TV fans, but their explanation of the service just doesn’t add up.
We will have to wait and see what the end product will be like, but I am not too worried about Xbox pushing Google TV aside. Let us know if you are, though! Do you think Xbox has what it takes to become a reliable smart TV device?
For more details: Google TV vs. upcoming Xbox TV features
Tutorials, editorials and more
Nothing like some good original content to learn more about Google TV and where it stands. I had fun writing Google TV content this week, so come check these articles out and join our discussions!
- Video: How to sideload an app to Google TV – I know most of you probably already know how to do this, but remember not everyone is always tuned in to sites like Phandroid.com and GTVSource.com! If you are new in the Google TV club, or you know someone who wants to learn how to sideload an app, this short tutorial will do.
- OUYA should have done a Google TV instead of a dedicated gaming console – I know many of you will disagree with me on this one, but that is what makes this so fun! Come join the debate, guys. I believe OUYA could have done a great job making a Google TV that revolved around gaming, instead of a gaming device that can do some TV stuff. What do you think?
- VIZIO issues press release about Co-Star’s GTV 3 update – Last week we reached out to VIZIO and confirmed that the GTV version 3 update had started rolling out to Co-Star devices. There was no other way to confirm it then, but now VIZIO has issued an official press release. We are still waiting on our update, do you have yours yet?
It was a fun week! I will be working on more Google TV content and coverage, so stay tuned to our “This Week In Google TV” feature every Saturday. You can also check out GTVSource.com (our sister site) every day or like the Facebook page for more frequent updates.
Either way, I am really enjoying this new feature. Especially because you guys told us you liked the idea, so thank you very much for all the support. See you next week!
- Make your phone like S6 Edge
- Hands-on: HTC One M9 new Dot View case
- Report: Google carrier requires Nexus 6
- Find new apps with Appeer
TAGS: This week in Google TV