If there was one update I wasn’t expecting today, it was definitely this one. Turns out Verizon Wireless has given the green light for a pair of Ice Cream Sandwich updates now making a b-line straight for the LG Spectrum and LG Lucid. Guess you can start forgetting about LG’s reputation for leaving their devices high-and-dry when it comes to firmware updates, as it appears the manufacturer could be changing their tune (we hope).
The LG Spectrum is receiving software build VS920ZV7, while the LG Lucid gets VS840ZV7. Both updates weigh in at the same 384MB and will bring the device’s firmware up to Android 4.0.4. This brings with it all the Ice Cream Sandwich goodies I’m sure you are well acquainted with at this point, along with a few added bonuses:
Enhanced Customer Support with Verizon Remote Diagnostics.
- New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
- Added Viewdini App.
- Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) is now supported.
- Watch & Learn videos are supported via streaming.
- Improved voice clarity during voice calls.
- Power button turns on LCD backlight while on a voice call.
The following apps have been upgraded for improved performance:
- Play Store
But besides multitasking buttons, and swipeable notifications, you’ll notice the entire UI has been reworked. Gone is LG’s horrific Gingerbread UI, making way for LG’s new minimal Ice Cream Sandwich UI (also found on the LG Optimus G and LG Intuition). Call me an Android nerd, but I really couldn’t be happier for all you LG Spectrum and Lucid owners out there. They grow up so fast, don’t they? (Tear).
No word on exactly when we can expect the update to roll out, but we’re sure it wont be long. In the meantime, you can manually check every few hours by jumping to your home screen, tapping the menu key > Settings > About phone > Software update > Check for Updates. Full update instructions can also be found here for the Spectrum, or here for the Lucid (same thing really).
- Android L vs Ice Cream Sandwich: Google Desig
- Android version breakdown for June 2014
- Jelly Bean now running on 28.4% of active And
- LG Thrill 4G getting Ice Cream Sandwich
- Check out the LG Spectrum forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the LG Lucid forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.