When Google bought Zagat we imagined most of the benefits wouldn’t be evident. At most, perhaps Google Places would benefit from better restaurant reviews and rating. Well, it looks like the Android app has benefited from a major overhaul courtesy of Google’s expert Android developers.
The app has been rebuilt from the ground up and it will cost users absolutely nothing to use it. The Holo UI really shines through and makes this perhaps the best mobile Zagat experience you can have.
Google has even made a tablet-specific UI for those who want to access reviews, reservations, and more on the big screen. Here are some of the features you can look forward to:
– Explore the world’s top dining destinations
– Find the perfect restaurant
– Refine your search with 100+ filters, including cuisines, Zagat scores, cost, and dining features (e.g. outdoor seating, open late, child-friendly, etc.)
– Reserve a table
– Be a critic–your quote could be printed in our next restaurant guidebook
– Optimized for Android 10-inch and 7-inch tablets
The app now requires a Google+ subscription to log in, but that’s easy enough to obtain. The old Zagat app exists under a different market listing, but Google has stated that it’s discontinued and that access would be restricted starting October 15th. There really is no reason to keep using it at this point so that should bother no one. For the new app be sure to click this link and get to your download.