Twenty-four hours after rumors surfaced of a $99 Nexus tablet launching by the end of the year, manufacturing partner ASUS has gone on the defensive, denying such claims outright. ASUS told Digitimes, the source that originally broke the story, that they have no plans to release a sub-$100 slate in conjunction with Google, calling into question rumors that one is currently in development.
While the statement sheds some doubt on the claims initially put forth by Digitimes, a denial by the manufacturer might not necessarily mean that new Nexus models aren’t on the horizon. The same report also said an ultra-thin version of the Nexus 7 would take over at the $199 price point.
- Chainfire roots 6 Nexus devices
- Android 5.0 Lollipop rolling out
- Nexus phones out of stock
- Report: Nexus 6 launching this month
- Check out the Nexus 7 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.