It was only last week that TWRP (a fancy schmancy touch-based recovery) saw a major release with version 2.2 and now, ClockworkMod is celebrating similar. CWM Recovery version 6 is now officially available for the Galaxy Nexus. There’s quite a few under-the-hood tweaks with developer Koush updating the recovery’s changelog with:
- New backup format that de-duplicates data between backups.
- Faster backups.
- Fixed restores > 2GB.
- Minor UI tweaks (new background, animated Android)
Koush also gave his plans on the future of the project, also talking a bit on the where he plans to take/update ROM Manager.
In the past, I have merged/rebased every CWM with AOSP. With Jellybean, I have decided this is no longer in the best interest of the project. There are only a few areas of AOSP recovery that are of interest (roots.c – file system, minui, and updater). Those will continue to be merged into CWM. Other than that, doing a full rebase with every code drop has been a giant headache, with the code churn from upstream that providing little to no value to CWM.
In any case, this unties my hands to deviate completely from AOSP, with the primary goal to make a much more polished touch UI.
ROM Manager is a little over 2 years old, and though it has grown in features quite a bit since its first incarnation, parts are starting to show its age. I’ve been contemplating a significant UI rewrite for some time now, and will pull the trigger on that shortly. I also want to add in some features that I am hoping will be of some interest:
* A paid ROM section for devs to publish their work and support their hobby.
* Upload your current ROM to ROM Manager for anyone to use, from the device.
* Connect ROM Manager to the Recovery Builder for automatic updates of recovery. No device left behind :)
Speaking of the Recovery Builder; it has been pleasantly successful. To date, around 1700 recoveries have been built. Many for devices ROM Manager currently does not even support.
If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations on any of Koush’s many projects (ClockworkMod Recovery, ROM Manager, DeskSMS), he’s encouraging everyone to drop him a line over on his Google+ page.
- NSFW: Samsung Gear VR porn
- AT&T is rolling out Android 4.4.4 for th
- Break the internet: Kim Kardashian stars in T
- Download: Facebook Lite for Android
- Check out the Galaxy Nexus forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.