It’s been a minute since Kyocera unveiled an Android smartphone, but their back with two new offerings out of CTIA. The Kyocera Hydro and Kyocera Rise are entry-level handsets running Ice Cream Sandwich atop hardware that includes a 1GHz MSM8655 CPU and 3.5-inch HVGA display. THe Hydro, as its name so cleverly suggests, is waterproof. It can take a 1 meter dunk for up to 30 minutes and emerge in functional form. The Rise trades resilience to water for a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.
Both phones feature Kyocera’s “Tissue Conduction” technology, a newly developed method of delivering increased sound quality by splitting the phone’s audio signal between a traditional earpiece speaker and a vibrating transducer. The vibrations are picked up by the ear as sound and apparently lend some clarity to the phone’s audio output.
No carrier or release date was announced to go along with the new handsets.
- June 29th is the last day you’ll get to
- Kyocera Rise now available from Virgin Mobile
- Kyocera Rise hits Sprint August 19 for $20, V
- Leaked document says Kyocera Riise launching
- Check out the Kyocera Hydro forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the Kyocera Rise forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: Kyocera Hydro, Kyocera Rise