About a week ago it was revealed that AT&T let slip an upgrade to Android 4.0 for some HTC Vivid. Whether it was an accident or a test, it doesn’t matter now – everyone should be able to pull the OTA update. It’ll step you up to Android 4.0, of course, but there are other details you’ll want to know about.
As rumors have suggested, the device will only get HTC Sense 3.6 instead of the massive Sense 4.o update that can be found on the HTC One devices. This is due to the device not having an S4 or Tegra 3 processor. Hopefully a Sense 4.0 ROM will be hammered out by the awesome development community surrounding Android.
This also brings Beats Audio support. Beats Audio allows you to utilize several sound profiles as long as you have your device hooked up to headphones or output to other 3.5mm jack-enabled devices. Here’s the full list of select features AT&T’s advertising:
- Beats Audio – Enhance your music and video experience with Beats Audio. Whenever a media file is played using the default media players or most third-party applications, the Beats Audio indicator will appear in the notification bar. Simply tap the notification to enable or disable Beats Audio. You can also turn Beats Audio on or off in the Settings menu. Note: Beats Audio will only work when headphones or an external speaker is connected. This is to ensure the best possible audio quality.
- Face Unlock – Face Unlock is a new screen-lock option that lets you unlock your device using face recognition. It takes advantage of the device’s front-facing camera and state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to register a face during setup, and then to recognize it again when unlocking the device. Just hold your device in front of your face to unlock, or use a backup PIN or pattern.
- Improved email – Easier to send, read and manage through recipient auto-completion, stored text, and nested sub-folders. For enterprises, the Email app supports EAS v14. It supports EAS certificate authentication, provides ABQ strings for device type and mode, and allows automatic sync to be disabled while roaming. Administrators can also limit attachment size or disable attachments.
- Bluetooth Mouse and keyboard – Use a Bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard with your device and adjust its settings.
- UI Improvements – Access the notification bar on the lock screen. Drag apps/shortcuts on top of one another to create folders. New fully customizable Launch Bar at the bottom of the screen. Resizable widgets.
- Advanced Voice and Text Input – More robust and can be used to dictate an entire email. Intelligent enough to recognize pauses, breaks and punctuation. Advanced Spell Checker.
Head to AT&T’s site for more details and update instructions.
- HTC Vivid’s Ice Cream Sandwich Update B
- HTC Sensation, Sensation XE and Vivid Get ICS
- Some AT&T users able to pull ICS update
- HTC Velocity (HTC Vivid) Receives Ice Cream S
TAGS: HTC Vivid