Samsung’s latest contributions to the Android ecosystem include the recently launched S Pen functionality. It is not exactly new, but it is still in the process of taking off. And very few developers have integrated such functionality to their apps. In an effort to ease the transition, Samsung has just released a new version of their S Pen SDK, further enticing devs to make the jump.
SDK version 2.0 offers some good improvements over last version - 1.5. But lets take a look at exactly what these improvements include.
S Pen SDK 2.0 improvements:
- The SCanvasView Class inherited from CanvasView has been added: Using this class and method, developers can animate their drawings and record/play audio files over it; Special effects such as scratch, mosaic, blur, sketch, etc are supported.
- SAMM (Samsung Animated Multimedia Messaging) Library Class has been added: SAMM is the library encoding/decoding of multimedia data supporting drawing, text, stamp, icon, snapshot image, voice and data exchange between apps using the same SDK.
- Several improvements have been made in drawings: Stroke and segmentation rendering have been enhanced; Undo function after clear all has been added; Developers can now add image and text to the CanvasView.
- Sample source is added for new features.
Defects in SDK 1.5 have been corrected.
- Errors occurred when exporting the package with proguard have been fixed.
Samsung S Pen functionality looks very promising, especially with Samsung being the most popular Android manufacturer. There is sure to be a good market in the future. I specifically likes the multi-screen functionality that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 offers, and believe that creative developers out there can make some great products.
Hit the source link for more information about the new SDK, and let us know what you think. We will have to wait and see how well this takes off. But for now, tell us what apps you would like to see S Pen functionality in! Are any of you planning to get an S Pen-capable device?
- Google Search testing Chat feature for businesses
- Nexus 6 launching March 12th with VoLTE baked in
- Moto 360 coming to Moto Maker in March
- Samsung debuts 128GB UFS storage
TAGS: S Pen