Sony’s Xperia S, introduced earlier this year at CES alongside the Xperia Ion, Xperia NX and Xperia Acro HD, might have a new name by the time of it’s launch in March. The company filed for a trademark for the name “Xperia Sola” with the USPTO.
While Sola might be a completely different device from the Xperia S, the timing of the trademark application makes it seem highly unlikely in my book. The reason: if it’s an unannounced device, it probably will not be released until well into the second half of this year, probably around the holiday season. Most manufacturers are looking to cut down on the number of phones they release in 2012, and to apply for the trademark of a phone which isn’t in the upcoming line-up seems strange.
Anyway, for those who are interested, “sola” means “one,” or “alone (female)” in Spanish and “only” in Italian (at least according to Google Translate). But what really matters is, are you, the customers, excited about it?
- Sony begins Jelly Bean rollout for Xperia P,
- Sony releases AOSP for the Xperia Z, news reg
- First look at Jelly Bean for the Sony Xperia
- Sony provides updates on Xperia Jelly Bean pl
- Check out the Sony Xperia S forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
TAGS: Sony Xperia S