Ready for Verizon’s first 4G LTE phone that costs less than $250? They’ve officially taken the wraps off of the Pantech Breakout we’ve been hearing so much about. Just as rumors suggested, this will be an affordable 4G phone coming in at $100 for those who don’t want to spend upwards of $250 for a phone with 4G LTE connectivity.
We’re not exactly sure how they were able to drive the price down on this one compared to similar offerings in the LG Revolution, Samsung DROID Charge and the HTC Thunderbolt. It boasts similar specs to those devices with its 1GHz single-core processor, 4 inch WVGA display, 5 megapixel HD camera and more.
Doesn’t look bad at all on paper, but the verdict is still out on the phone itself. Read ahead for full press details.
BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and HAUPPAUGE, NY — Verizon Wireless and Pantech today announced the Pantech Breakout™ will be exclusively available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning Sept. 22.
The Pantech Breakout smartphone, brought to market by Personal Communications Devices, LLC (PCD), shines with super-fast downloads packaged in a slim and attractive design. Customers will have access to custom Pantech widgets and can share media files between Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)-enabled devices by using the Net Media app on their Pantech Breakout.
- Powered by 4G LTE – customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G mobile broadband coverage areas
- Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
- 1 GHz processor
- 4-inch capacitive touch display (480 x 800)
- Support for Google™ Mobile Services, including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Search™ and Google Maps™, as well as access to more than 250,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- 4G LTE mobile hotspot supporting up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring SWYPE™ technology for quick and easy typing of messages and emails
- 5-megapixel autofocus rear-facing camera with HD video capture up to 720p
- VGA front-facing camera for still shots and video chatting
- Wi-Fi connectivity 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth® 3.0 support includes headset, hands-free, object push, advanced audio distribution (stereo), audio/video remote control, file transfer and phonebook access
- 8 GB pre-installed microSD™
Pricing and availability:
- The Pantech Breakout will be available on Sept. 22 in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $99.99 after a $50 mail in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- Customers that purchase a Pantech Breakout smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 106.3 million total wireless connections, including 89.7 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Pantech Co., Ltd., is one of Korea’s top three mobile handset makers. Pantech has received wide-ranging industry recognition for its innovative handset designs, and has also introduced a significant number of breakthrough technologies in the mobile phone industry. Established in 1991, Pantech collectively has approximately 3,000 employees and 6 regional sales offices worldwide. For more information on Pantech, please visit www.pantech.com.