New Portfolio of Android-Based Devices Empower Both Businesses and Consumers with World-Class Versatility, Productivity and Entertainment Features
Sprint to launch more than 10 new Motorola devices in 2011, including Motorola PHOTON 4G, boasting Sprint 4G, Android 2.3, Sprint ID and worldphone capabilities, Motorola XPRT, a business-class Android smartphone, and Motorola TRIUMPH, the first Motorola Android smartphone for Virgin Mobile USA
NEW YORK (BUSINESS WIRE), June 09, 2011 – Sprint (NYSE: S) and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) today announced a reinvigorated alliance that strengthens and extends the two companies’ device innovation leadership. Sprint and its prepaid brands of Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA will launch more than 10 new Motorola wireless devices in 2011, bringing revolutionary performance, speed and design to Sprint customers. This new portfolio demonstrates a commitment to bring customers advanced devices with industry-leading features, including smartphones, tablets and best-in-class Push-to-Talk devices.
Two new devices were communicated today as part of this relationship, including the iconic Motorola PHOTON™ 4G, Motorola’s first Sprint 4G device with a dual-core 1GHz processor, Android™ 2.3, Sprint ID and worldphone capabilities, and Motorola TRIUMPH™, the first Virgin Mobile USA device from Motorola. These two devices, along with the additional products in the new portfolio, build upon Sprint and Motorola’s long history of innovation across Sprint 3G and 4G networks and Nextel National Network.
“Over the years, we have teamed with Motorola to bring top of the line devices to our customers across both prepaid and postpaid brands,” said Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. “I am pleased to see our collaboration grow. Together we will enhance the customer experience by bringing innovative devices to market, such as the Motorola PHOTON 4G and Motorola TRIUMPH.”
Sprint was unbeaten among major wireless carriers for customer satisfaction according to results from the 2011 American Customer Satisfaction Index. In addition to tying for first place among wireless carriers, Sprint was also the number one most improved company in customer satisfaction, across all industries, over the last three years, according to the survey.
“We are excited to be partnering with Sprint to announce a new portfolio of innovative, differentiated Android-based products that make the mobile experience better for people – whether at home or at work,” said Sanjay Jha, chairman and chief executive officer, Motorola Mobility. “These devices showcase our deep insight into consumer needs and harness the power of Sprint’s networks.”
Motorola’s First Sprint 4G Phone
Sprint and Motorola are taking wireless innovation to a new level with Sprint’s first 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA®Tegra™ 2 processor smartphone on the Sprint 4G Network, Motorola PHOTON 4G. Motorola PHOTON 4G provides on-the-go users with an edge in managing their lives, around the world. Motorola PHOTON 4G offers the perfect blend between personal and business needs and boasts enterprise-quality security for Android, international GSM capabilities, a 4.3-inch qHD display, dual cameras and a kickstand for hands-free viewing.
Built with Android 2.3, Gingerbread, Motorola PHOTON 4G, combined with the Sprint 4G Network, lets users browse, download and multitask at blazing-fast speeds to support their busy lifestyles. Motorola PHOTON 4G does it all, providing users with an array of versatile tools, like the Motorola webtop application, allowing users to access and create content from a larger screen while connected to a Motorola accessory dock (available for purchase following device availability).
Additional features include:
- Dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and 1GB of RAM
- Large 4.3-inch touchscreen with qHD (Quarter High Definition) display
- Dual cameras – 8 megapixel, dual-LED flash camera with front-facing webcam to store photos and videos directly on the device and VGA front-facing camera for video chat
- Android Market™ for access to more than 200,000 useful applications, widgets and games available for download to customize the experience
- Sprint ID for an easy way to personalize the user experience with apps, widgets, ringtones and more, all in a single download
- 16GB of onboard memory, support for up to 32GB SD Card, for a total of up to 48GB
- Worldphone capabilities to access emails, calendars and news from locations around the globe
- 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, supporting up to eight devices on the Sprint 3G or 4G networks and one while roaming internationally on GSM (Mobile Hotspot capability while roaming internationally on GSM will be delivered through an upcoming software update)
- Ability to utilize the webtop application while connected to a Motorola accessory dock (sold separately) to open, view, edit and send Microsoft Office documents using cloud-based web apps through the full Mozilla Firefox browser
- Supports critical IT device policies commonly requested by enterprises and government entities, including integration ease, cost-of-management and data security concerns
Motorola PHOTON 4G will be available this summer. Pricing, final specifications and a full list of accessories will be provided closer to launch.
Just as we suspected, Sprint’s announced their first dual-core device from Motorola. It’s the Photon 4G and it will be Sprint’s first world phone with GSM radios. Early specs? You got it. How does Android 2.3, a 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 4G radios, 16GB of internal storage, a 1700mAh battery, HDMI-out with mirroring and an 8 megapixel HD camera + front facing camera sound?
Just as our previous source confirmed, this one’s a larger device coming in at 4.3 inches with qHD resolution. And it has a kickstand – that makes it worth a purchase alone, no? Don’t forget WebTop, Motorola’s web-based operating platform for use with the laptop dock that’ll be offered alongside this thing.
What was once being called their version of the Atrix 4G has quickly transformed into a unique offering from Motorola. The larger screen is reminiscent of the DROID X2, while the kickstand is giving us that EVO 4G feeling. All of this is said to be coming sometime this summer. Oh, and the Photon 4G’s section on Sprint.com is now live.
We’re Live at the Sprint event watching this all unveil, folks, so stay tuned for incoming photos and hands-on video. Head past the video for full press details.
Sprint and Motorola Forge Renewed Business Relationship That Extends Device Innovation