The folks at Sony Ericsson have begun pushing out the first major update for their latest devices, the Xperia Arc and PLAY. It brings with it the “Facebook Inside Xperia” integration. You can get notifications of new messages and events on your lockscreenscreen, photos from your Facebook page show up in the device’s built-in gallery application, and you can integrate your friends’ Facebook profile into their contact book entries. A lot more can be done with the upgrade, but I don’t need to explain it to you as this video does a great job of that. Other changes in this upgrade to Android 2.3.2 improve:
- Battery performance
- General software stability
- Wi-Fi stability
- HD Video recording performance (Xperia™ arc)
- Touch responsiveness
Those of you with unlocked devices in Europe can get the upgrade right now either over the air or via their PC companion tool, but anyone with a carrier branded version may need to wait until your respective carrier brings it to your specific device. We’re not sure if the Verizon Wireless version of the PLAY will be getting the updates as it does not have Sony Ericsson’s TimeScape/MediaScape interface. You can find more details at SE’s blog here.
In related news, HDBlog.it has it on good authority from Sony Ericsson Italy that all of their 2011 Xperia devices will certainly be stepped up to Android 2.3.4, an update that brings video calling to Google Voice alongside other changes. They don’t expect it to make its way to devices for another five months, unfortunately, but that may be different from region to region.
- Dead Trigger to get a huge new update soon [V
- [Update: Xperia only] Lara Croft and the Guar
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Play is NOT getting an A
- Verizon Xperia Play receives update with grea
- Check out the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.
- Check out the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.