HTC and T-Mobile had committed to Android 2.2 for the original MyTouch 3G before – and those users have indeed received the update – but the 3.5mm headphone jack and the limited edition Fender versions didn’t receive the same love. Whatever the cause was for exclusion, those users – if they hadn’t already rooted or upgrade to a different phone – can now enjoy Froyo just as much as everyone else is. We aren’t confident that all of Froyo’s features – such as the updated Gallery, the Flash plugin, and live wallpapers – will be enabled due to hardware limitations, but the rest of the core functionality is still highly desirable, I’d imagine. Here’s a more complete list of what to expect, courtesy of TmoNews. [T-Mobile Forums]
1. New Fully Integrated Exchange Client
- Exchange calendars: Exchange calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.
- Auto-discovery: With just a user name and password users can easily set up and/or sync an Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).
- Global Address Lists look-up: This functionality is now available in the E-mail application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from an entire directory.
- Improved security: Numeric pin and alpha-numeric password options have been added to unlock the device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.
- Remote wipe: In the event a device is lost or stolen, Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data.
2. Faves Gallery
- Faves Gallery gives customers quick access to the 20 people who matter most.
- Scroll through your Faves Gallery, and instantly see the most recent communication from your top 20 Faves – calls, texts, emails, instant messaging, and social networking updates. Respond in a flash!
3. New Home Screen Features
- Home screen Tips widget provides tips on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens.
- Market widget lets you keep on top what’s hot on Android Market, showing featured apps right on the home screen.
- Phone, All Apps and Browser now have dedicated shortcuts on the home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the five home screen panels.
4. Gmail app enhancements:
- Include quoted text from the body of an e-mail message
- Navigate quickly using on-screen previous/next buttons
- Identify e-mails using colored labels
- See inline images in messages
Other: Improvements to the camera and camcorder, ability to add multiple languages to the keyboard, enhancements to Google Maps, YouTube app, Facebook app, and Twitter app.
Note: To recieve the OTA update, you will need to have an active Android data plan on your account.
- Telenav comes to MyTouch 3G
- Twelve myTouch 3G how-to videos release
- Samsung announces all metal Galaxy A5 and A3
- Secret of Mana now available for Android
TAGS: myTouch 3G