If you want to complain about software updates, another handset you don’t want to fail to mention unless you like the idea of a thousand angry Android owners descending upon you is the HTC Droid Eris from Verizon. We learned that Verizon would be dropping the Eris in short order, and along with this there was some worry that a new OS update may never come. Now it looks like Verizon is gearing up to bring the update to Eris owners, with software revision ROM: 2.36.605.1/Radio: 2.42.00.04.12.
No where in Verizon’s literature do they call this one Android 2.1, but if you look at the list of new features you’ll know that is exactly what you are getting:
- Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the Gallery and Google Maps.
- New support for voice-to-text entry.
- New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
- New Leap thumbnail view lets you pinch to jump between the seven panels on your home screen.
- Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced, turn-by-turn navigation.
If Verizon sticks to their guns, notice that Eris users will get 7 home screens with thumbnail navigation, something that was surprisingly absent from the Motorola Droid Android 2.1 update. You can learn much more about what other additions and enhancements will come with the update at the Verizon Eris Support site.
No specific timeframe is given for when owners can expect this update to start rolling out, and if the recent bungle that was the Droid 2.1 (or really any 2.1 update you can think of) release is any indication, you would be best to be a bit skeptical. Hopefully “soon” will retain its dictionary definition and actually mean sometime in the relatively near future.
[via Verizon, thanks to c dowell for the heads up!]
- HTC Droid Eris for Verizon Receiving OTA Upda
- Things We Missed, You Shouldn’t [Feb. 8
- No One is Surprised: Droid Eris Not Getting A
- Verizon Announces Pre-Paid Data Plans for 3G
TAGS: HTC Droid Eris