Some unusual – but still very interesting – news dropped recently. Meizu, the company famous for making an iPhone clone to die for, is bringing out a handset that will sport a modified version of Android 2.1. Dubbed the Meizu M9, it’ll come equipped with 3 different types of keyboards but no other features (or initial specs) have been revealed.
CEO Jack Wong brings us this news but also drops a nice tidbit for M8 users: they’ll be getting Android 2.1, as well. The M8 will be used as a testing ground for the M9, apparently, but that’s particularly interesting – and somewhat impressive – since it’s my understanding that the Meizu M8 was designed to run Windows CE 6.0.
It’s not every day that an old Windows phone gets resurrected with official Android support from its manufacturer, so we’ll keep a close tab on how this pans out. I wonder if an HD2 could be stripped of its WinMo stripes and be granted the awesomeness that is Android.
[Thanks, Unwired View]
- ICS Public Beta for the MEIZU MX or M9 now li
- China’s Meizu M9 Receives Speedy Ginger
- Meizu Wants in on the US Market with Plans to
- Meizu M9 ROM Ported to HTC EVO 4G
- Check out the Meizu M9 forums, see the specs, or find news and reviews.