You may have read a review of the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet written by Phandroid contributor John Ashton Edgar. While overall he seemed to enjoy it his biggest issue with the device was its lack of Google App integration and the replacement of Android Market with AppsLib.
It runs an Archos version of Android. This is significant for several reasons. There is no Google integration. None, nada, zip, zero, nunca. The only integration you get is going into your Google account in the very nice webkit browser. I didn’t have any issues because the browser is nice with nearly 5″ of screen, but if you are a fan of the Google Android OS apps like Gmail, Gtalk, or Calendar, be warned. This also represents one of my largest issues with the Archos 5. They have their own app market, AppsLib.
Our friends at JKonTheRun did a nice step-by-step guide to getting the job done – keep in mind this is for Windows:
- Download and extract this to your computer ( or search market4archos.zip ) ( Mirrors anyone? )
- Download these files to your computer
- Put Archos 5 to ADB mode ( settings/device storage & USB/USB mode -> ADB )
- Connect usb and choose drivers to use and point to drivers folder on files you downloaded on step 2 to your computer ( if it fails, go to device manager – click Archos – Update drivers – Browse computer for driver – Let me pick – Have disk – Browse to drivers you downloaded )
- On Windows -> copy folder named system from the step 1 to same folder as you have adb.exe
- Run adb.exe on command prompt
- Type adb push system /data/test/system [ press enter ] ( cd to the folder you have the adb.exe first.. like “cd downloads” )
- reboot your Archos 5
Updates to the steps suggest you need this version of the hack to get Google Maps working and you need to have 1.4.08 or 1.4.09 firmware for success. Give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out for you!
- FTC fines TracFone for throttling "unlimited" data
- Gear VR arrives at Best Buy
- Sony laying off 1,000 workers
- Note 4 Tips & Tricks
TAGS: Archos 5 Internet Tablet